How to Contribute Back to ERPNext
Ways in which you can contribute back to ERPNext eco-system.
October 30, 2017
The thing we are flaming at, though agreed unanimously, was on enabling contributions from the community. So, here are the areas where you as a community member could make your contributions.
The very philosophy of open source software, collaborating development of an application which benefits the community at large. If you are creating a feature for your customers, it's very likely other members in the community needs it to. Rather than keeping it to yourself, contribute it back to ERPNext (core). Never forget that 2% which you built was only possible because 98% was already contributed by others, something you enjoyed for free.
Moreover, contribution also makes sense in the commercial sense. It increases your credibility in the community and earns you lots of new business opportunities. Check the story of Anoop, from Earthians, on what made him contribute Healthcare domain in ERPNext, and how it helped them.
If you need little more motivation to get started, remember that ERPNext has GPL (General Public License) which requires publishing your extensions publicly under the same license. With the legal obligation, do also consider your moral obligation to make your first code contribution.
ERPNext Community Forum
Community Meetups and Sprints
Open source project is all about collaborative development. Organizing local meetups and code sprints is one awesome medium to put your heads together and fast-track your contributions. If you think that local ERPNext community in your region is not large enough, remember that the first ERPNext meetup at Frappe office had only one attendee (yes!). However, the reason of meetup was enough for us to record and publish Frappe Video Tutorial, something which still helps newbies to educate themselves on how Frame Framework works.
Following are some of the important features which were added in the ERPNext thanks to meetups and code sprints.
- Making ERPNext ready for GST India (MN Technique, Open eTechnologies, Frappe Team)
- ERPNext Restaurant domain (Bangalore code sprint)
- Employee Advance feature (ERPNext conference 2017)
- ERPNext - Barcode Connector (ERPNext conference 2017)
Github is where the source code for ERPNext and Frappe Framework resides. This is the great platform to get the projection for ERPNext within the Github community. One way you can contribute in by starring and getting more stars on ERPNext Github repository. More stars on Github will also increase the credibility of ERPNext as one true open source project and help others to enroll in.
- Most of the pragmatic users would use ERPNext only if there companies running their business on ERPNext. Hence, we need to get exposure for the current implementation. You can write an article about it or contact a tech journalist to do it for you.
- Association of the big company as a user of ERPNext will certainly take us a long way in winning a faith of pragmatic users. How do we get these "big daddies" on-boarded to ERPNext, and get their stories to tech-journalist?
- Given 2017, we presume that you are already a Facebook star and have account Twitter as well. Do write about ERPNext and Frappe Foundation on your social media handle so that it reaches your circle as well.
- And thousands of other marketing ideas which keep popping up in your entrepreneurial brain. We need them all shared and executed in the interest of making open source software victorious.
Hence, if you are looking forward to the long-term, win-win relationship with us, do profile yourself around what you have contributed back. Keep flames within you :)